Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

Hey, I have a business idea. I'm not sure weather it is

Customer Question

Hey,
I have a business idea. I'm not sure weather it is illegal. Alcohol licensing laws in Northern Ireland prevent the sale of alcohol after 11pm at night and 1pm in bars and clubs. If I was to start a business delivering alcohol and charging purely for the delivery and "giving away" the alcohol would that be a breach of the law?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 2 years ago.
Hi . Thank you for question. whilst your proposal is a clever idea, I and afraid it will not work. Although you are saying the alcohol is free that is noot really the case. A customer cannot buy the delivery service without the alcohol and cannot get the alcohol free unless they pay for the delivery. Any court is just going to construe that as paying for the alcohol . I imagine the delivery charge will correlate directly with the value of the alcohol..
Sorry but I am sure you would be breaking the law.