How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question

Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10428
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

, My partner and I own a property as beneficial joint

Customer Question

My partner and I own a property as beneficial joint tenants. We purchased the property apx. 16 months ago. We are in the process of seperating and I am looking to keep the property rather than sell. My ex partner and I are still on very good terms. I have spoken to my existing mortgage lender and an additional lender to see if I could transfer the equity in my name. Although I was close to being accpeted I did not quite meet their lending criteria. In order to keep the property my ex partner and I have discussed the option of converting this from beneficial joint tenants to tenants in common with unequal shares (99:1). I would offer her a cash sum and she would move out and I would continue to pay the mortgage on my own. As soon as I am then able to buy her outright completely (probably within a year) I would do so and then she would get a further 1%. Although this sounds a little unusual it would mean that I could continue to live in the property and not sell this However does this sound like a resonable approach or is there anything else I would need to consider?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Provided you are both in agreement to this, and you are trusting of her, there is no real issue in you doing this.

You will, however, need to get a Deed drawn up by a Solicitor to show the change in percentage ownership and the Deed should also confirm the amount you are paying to her in consideration of you receiving 99% in the property.

The only thing you need to be made aware of is that as she would remain a legal owner, she would be entitled to occupy the property at any time in the future. I am sure she would not want to do this on a practical level, but legally, she would be entitled to!

Free advice- The only downside from her point of view is that she would of course remain on the Mortgage, meaning she is as legally responsible for the payments as you, and while the Mortgage remains in your joint names, it will mean she will find it hard to secure any other Mortgage in her sole name.

I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions