Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My mother would like me and my sister to have power of attorney

My mother would like me and my sister to have power of attorney for Finance and Health but after going to the government site (and printing the huge amount of paperwork) and speaking to an adviser they say we do not need a solicitor but most people I have spoken to said they did there's through a solicitor. We cannot afford expensive legal fees but if it is best done through a solicitor then we need to find a suitable solicitor. My mother lives in Devon and we live in Buckinghamshire / Berkshire so would we need to do this in Devon or can we do this here? I am getting conflicting advice and would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction please?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience. May I ask if your mother is wishing to impose and conditions or guidance in relation to the preparation of Powers of Attorney please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Joshua, thank you. No, all she has stated is that the decisions made on her health / finance matters be made jointly by us.

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. There is no need to use a solicitor to prepare Ppowers of attorney. It is of course a good idea to do so but obviously that costs so it is a case of weighing up cost and benefit. A solicitor will usually charge £500 + VAT at least to prepare POAs. If your mothers wishes are straight forward it is quite possible to create them yourself and they are no less valid providing you get them right. Things can go wrong if you enter restrictions and conditions as these can be invalid if poorly drafted and can result in the powers being rejected. If you would like a solicitor to prepare the for you but are concerned about the cost I could offer you a half way house whereby you prepare them as you plan to and send the drafts to me so I can look over them before you all sign them and advise on any errors or issues you could improve . I have prepared powers of attorneys professionally for the last 6 years or so. I would be happy to do that at a cost of £100 (no VAT) if you feel it would give you more confidence having a solicitor look over them before they are signed which will prevent any issues at registration. However as above it is not needed. Does the above answer all your questions or is there anything I can clarify or help you with any further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Joshua, thank you. I would feel a lot better if they could be checked before we submit them. Is there a time limit that we would need to get the documents to you? I may have some more questions that undoubtedly arise from going through the forms.

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
I would be delighted to. The way we would do this is by way of my creating something called an "additional service" which will allow you to pay the above agreed fee. We will then be able to exchange email addresses and then it is just a case fof your emailing over the drafts once you have prepared them. This can be in a week, a month or whenever you are ready. I am usually available throughout the week. I am very happy to answer any questions you might have as they crop up going though the forms which we can most simply do again by email in the same way. Would you like to proceed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would need to check with my sister and we will then organise payment, would this be acceptable? Due to my financial commitments I am unable to pay 100 at this moment (embarrassingly) but would like to progress this with you as advisor. Would it be possible to get back to you within the week and make payment then and follow up with any questions I may have? I appreciate it's an on-line service but would like to check with all concerned first before continuing further.

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
That is no problem whatsoever - there is no need for embarrassment. It is better for you to pay closer to when you actually need me to carry out the service anyway! If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. This will also save the thread to your account and prevent it accidentally closing.You can then simply return back to it either from a link in your email you should have received or from your customer home page on the site if you have entered a password. If all ese fails (though it should be very easy) you can contact me using the following link:http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-joshua/