Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I have been advived by post that I a ccj that will come into

I have been advived by post that I a ccj that will come into force next week and have a couple of questions about paying or not?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

How may I assist. You mentioned you have some questions.
May I also ask is this the first you have heard of the CCJ or have you previously received court claim forms in relation to the same?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not contest . My question is I can pay but if I choose not to and I will be leaving the country next week to live in another EU country what would happen to me or my wife who has nothing to do with the ccj it's a bout non payment of a car
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. So to be clear you did receive court claim forms but either ignored them or indiciated you accepted the debt is due. Is that correct please?Finally do I understand that you can afford to pay the whole amount now if you chose to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I accepted the debt was due. I now have come into cash that would allow me to pay but what happens if I choose not to . The question arises as I'm no longer going to be resident in the UK but another EU country
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. THe position is that once you receive the judgement from the court it must be paid within 28 days failing which a CCJ will be entered into your credit file which will subsist for 6 years and make credit very expensive or difficult to obtain in the UK. Presently it will not impact on foreign credit files though there has been talk of sharing credit files across EU states but it hasn't happened yet. If you intend to return to the UK in the next 6 years it could have significant impact on your ability to obtian credit here.However it could have other impact in that the judgement creditor can pursue enforcement action agaisnt you in order to collect the debt. If the debt is more than £750 then they could apply to make you bankrupt in the UK. This has to be delcared in other countries if you are asked if you have been made bankrupt.Such enforcement action can follow you across Europe. Obviously he has to be able to find you but subject to that it is no relatively easy to pursue debts throughout the EU using EU payment orders and reciprocol enforcement actions between countries. It depends how sophisticated your creditor is and how much the debt is as to how much action he may take to recover.Generally it is inevitably a precarious decision to decide not to pay a judgement debt. Enforcement action is relatively easy to pursue across the EU for any determined creditor.Have I been able to help you with all your questions on the above?