12826847

The police are investigating an email account which was accessed

The police are investigating an email account which was accessed from my home's IP address. My wife and I have been asked to come to the police station for a voluntary chat. What should I do?
To achieve what?
Are you asking if you have to go?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm asking:

1. Do we have to go?

2. If the email account was accessed from our IP address, does this mean that we are responsible?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The police are saying that the email account was used to submit false info to the Companies House.

1 No. This is a voluntary interview and you can refuse. But if you do they will just come and arrest you so it is not a good idea.
2 No. It gives rise to an inference though. It depends whether your IP address is insecure or locked. If it is insecure then this proves nothing at all.
If it is passworded then that does tend to suggest that nobody who doesn't know the pasword could be responsible for this but obviously to bring criminal prosecutions they will need to identify the culprit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is password ***** but the password ***** ***** on the router. We run a business from home and have a number of visitors who use the password ***** access the Internet through our wifi system. Does this mean that we have an insecure system or a secure system?

You have a secure system. You just have an explanation over why other third parties may have had access to your password.
With the rise of devices like iPads people can get access all over the place if they know passwords. In the old days of wired connections ips were failing damning.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK just one more point, in your first message you said, "they need to identify the culprit". How can they do so in this scenario?

It depends on the IP address. You do seem to e describing one which can be accessed by a large number of people. Then they woukd have to look at the way the correspondence is written which isn't the best evidence either.