Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have been approached by a recruitment agency to take over

I have been approached by a recruitment agency to take over the top job of supervision of the airport in St. Helena. He advised that the company's staff welcomed my return to the firm. I have sent extremely supportive written references. One person has turned me down saying 'Iain Stewart is not right for the job.' My recruitment agent is very disappointed and so am I.
How can I tackle this?
Thank you and
All the best,
Iain S. Stewart
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Do you believe that in making the decision not to recruit you your employer has discriminated against you on the basis of your:
Age
Sex
Race
Disability
Sexual Orientation
or Religion?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear *****ny,

No. Non of these aspects have been mentioned. I understand that he says 'he is not right' for the job. This is one person against many others and the evidence of my CV, written references etc.. Unfortunately, he is the person who makes the decision.

All the best,

Iain

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hi sadly unless the decision is for one of the reasons I have listed there is no recourse in law. This is because UK law allows employers to be free to recruit who they wish so long as they do not discriminate either directly or indirectly for one of those reasons. This means that they can refuse to recruit a person because they do not like them or because of another 'personality' reason without recourse.
You can, of course, ask for detailed feedback, but ultimately unless you believe there is an element of discrimination there is nothing further you can do.
I am sorry that this is not the answer your were hoping for.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.