12826847

I wrote a blogpost about working . I did not mention

Customer Question

I wrote a blogpost about working for family. I did not mention the family members name or business. He has threatened me if I don't remove the post he will have my website shut down.. He says his legal team have said that they can claim for damages. Is this true?
Thank you, Christine
Have you said anything untrue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No everything is true.

This is the post http://christine-gilmartin.com/2015/04/13/working-for-family/

I have received 4 texts telling me that his legal team said they can claim damages and shut my website down.

Christine

The difficulty with this is that it does identify you and therefore the 'family' could be identified. There are some things there that do potentially amount to defamation.
In terms of seeking the closure of the site, he will not get that but he could seek an injunction to remove what you have written.
He does potentially have a claim in damages although he has to show that he did suffer loss.
If you remove the copy from the site then that would probably be a sharp end to any legal action that he proposes taking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

I am disappointed as the bully seems to have won. I didn't mention his name or business so I really don't understand how I need to pay damages to him. I feel that I should have been paid damages because of the way he treated me.

So what would you suggest i do to close this matter without looking like I have folded?

Christine

No, but it is possible to work out who he is because of what you have said.
If you don't want to fold then refuse to pay damages and invite him to sue. Just be aware that could end in legal action and that could be expensive if you lose
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

One last question, I don't have any money so if I couldn't pay what would happen then?

Sorry for the delay. This dropped of my question list.
He could seek to claim your assets or get an injunction with the power of arrest. Usually the injunction is wanted to protect further assertions. Costs can be enforced at a later stage.