Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

, I bought my house while still officially married

Customer Question

I bought my house while still officially married but reverted to my maiden name.
All my documents, bank account etc have been in my maiden name for approx 20+ years.
I plan to sell my house shortly, will I have any problem with my married name being on the deeds of my house but everything else in my maiden name, if so I do I rectify.
My ex husband issued divorce from Australia, I did not receive a decree absolute but know it went through as he remarried in Australia
Julie
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 2 years ago.

No, you will simply need to show that you are one and the same person by producing, say, a copy of your marriage certificate showing both names. The purchaser will only be concerned with whether you own the property and hence can pass ownership of it.

I hope this helps, if there are any further points please reply.

Best regards

Michael

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** *****

Just to clarify, do I need to have my married name changed to my maiden name on the property deeds before I sell or just produce the marriage certificate and perhaps my birth certificate together?

Dear *****

You do not need to change the deeds, just produce your marriage certificate which should have your maiden name and married name to complete the paper chain.

Best wishes

Michael