12826847

Yorkshire bank rang me to say they have been paying into my

Yorkshire bank rang me to say they have been paying into my savings account £200 a month which should have been paid into someone elses account. My savings accounrt isn't one which I check regularly only to move money around so I don't check the account transactions. I have had a letter saying they want the £1200 back within 7 days and if I need to I can pay in instalments.
I need to know if I am within my rights to refuse to pay for their mistake or at the very least to offer a repayment of a small amount of £10 per month if I have to pay it back.
I am a pensioner and this is causing stress.
Thankyou
I am sorry but you are not. They are entitled to reclaim this money. It belongs to somebody else. It is not even the bank's money. If you don't repay they will just seize it from your account.
If you don't have it then they will have to either sue you and seek repayment or accept payment in instalments.
However, the fact that it is indeed their mistake is not a ground to avoid repayment or really even avoid a short repayment scale. There is absolutely no prospect of £10 a month I'm afraid.
Sorry but I have to give you truthful information.