12826847

accessory to talking contraband into prison advice

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

basically my friend is being charged with taking cannabis into prison however on CCTV im am not looking and have no contact I have told the police I had nothing to do with this and knew nothing about him taking the drugs but there is a conversion on my phone which has been taken for evidence to see if I knew about the matter on the phone me and my friend have a conversion I say don't panic you will make me panic he says he wants it to bad this time I say I know this is the last time its his birthday he says you can get up to 10years for this later in the convsation he says bring me perfume I say okay but I didn't because I was in a rush what sentence am I looking at if this information is dealt with

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but I'm not sure I understand you?
Would you mind writing things out in formal sentences? I am really bad with text speak and other variations.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Basically my friend is being charged with passing cannabis to a prisoner on a visit at the prison.

On CCTV im am not looking at them passing the drugs and have no contact with the drugs.

I have told the police I had nothing to do with this and knew nothing about him taking the drugs.

However my phone has been taken for evidence to see if I had anything to do with this issue.

There is a conversion on my phone me and my friend had..

I say "Don't panic you will make me panic"

he says "He wants it so bad this time"

I say "I know this is the last time its his birthday"

he says "You can get up to 10years for this"

later in the conversation he says "Will you bring me perfume"

I say "Okay" but I didn't because I was in a rush

If this information is found what will happen to me?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, that is fairly incriminating obviously.
I'm afraid that this is possession with intent to supply aggravated by the fact that it was within a prison context.
Unfortunately a custodial sentence is likely given the aggravating features here. If you are female and you have no previous convictions then it will be much shorter than it would If the guidelines were properly enforced.
I would concentrate on securing an acquittal. Obviously you can only say you didn't know anything about this if you didn't but you can put the crown to prove. They are going to have to prove that perfume means drugs. It is not a euphemism I have heard and I do drugs cases all the time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No he actually meant perfume to spray himself.

Are you saying I am looking at a sentence because of the conversion we had?

Is that enough evidence to charge me?

When I said I did not know anything about it I didn't know they would take my phone otherwise I wouldn't have said that.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is enough to charge. You were there with a person who was smuggling prohibited substances in and that conversation is incriminating.
Whether they will or not is another matter but this is drugs into a prison so I would brace yourself for the worst.
It may depend on the specific prison. Some have a greater problem with drugs than others.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay am I looking at more than 2 years?

I have never been in trouble with the police before, I did not think this would happen as my friend taking the drugs in had nothing to do with me.

It was only when I got home I realised that conversion is still on my phone, I didn't realise how serious this was.. So silly of me

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, not realistically.
A dealer can get more than two years in these circumstances but not on first offences. women almost never go to prison anyway in the UK unless they actually kill somebody.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you think I should go in and admit that I did know that he was planning on taking it in?

I panicked and I lied

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I thought you said you didn't know?
I am happy to continue with this but please remember to leave feedback for my answer.