Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I hold several cheques from a US company. How long are they

I hold several cheques from a US company. How long are they valid and can be cashed.
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience. Under the Payment Council Code a UK bank can refuse to accept a cheque that is older than 6 months. This does not mean that the cheque will be invalid after 6 months but the bank does not have to accept it. Banks do typically adhere to this code and will typically reject a cheque dated older than 6 months. in this case, the drawer bank is presumably US based. I am not a US lawyer but I have conducted some brief research and the US uniform commercial code appears to mirror the UK position which is that banks are not required to honour cheques dated earlier than six months ago. Accordingly the position seems to be much the same on both sides of the Atlantic. To be certain the cheques will be accepted they should be banked within 6 months of the date of issue or you may need to seek a new cheque from the company. I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me.