Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

On the 12th March 2015 I was made redundant. Although my contract

On the 12th March 2015 I was made redundant. Although my contract stated a 4 week notice period I agreed to work to 12th June 2015 to give me security of finding a new role and my employer to find a replacement.
I have now found a role and they want me to start asap as the person I am taking over from leaves on the 14th May 2015 and by not starting asap would hinder the handover.
Therefore I left on the 1st May (2 weeks) or on the 15th May (4 weeks), could my current employer withold my redundnacy money?
Greg
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. If you have agreed to increased notice then your contract will terminate by reason of redundancy at the end of the extended notice period. This means that if you leave earlier than your agreed extended notice period then you have chosen to resign and you will not be entitled to redundancy pay in those circumstances.
It is a bit mean of the employer to do this if the original notice period has passed but unfortunately legally they are within their rights to do so.
If possible it would be better to ask the new employer to hold off or to consider compensating you for the lost redundancy money if they cannot.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.