UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I was taken to hospital in Florida after an epileptic seizure.

I was taken to hospital in Florida after an epileptic seizure. They asked for insurance details and checked them out then treated me. Their conditions said that if I didn't have insurance then I would be charged 25%. They then treated me. On return my insurance has refused to pay and the hospital is now pursuing me via an agency in Switzerland for the bill. I have contacted the hospital numerous times re this offering to pay the 25% I would have been charged. But they haven't replied. Is this enforceable in the UK and could I be detained at US customs on re-entry to the US?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

Have you contacted the Swiss agency and offered to pay the 25% that you are obliged to pay as per the hospital's terms and conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have just received contact from them and sent them some info and a notification that while I don't want to pay it all, I would like some sort of amicable solution

I would advise you to point out to them that you are willing to pay the 25% as per the t's and c's.

This would be a civil issue and you cannot be barred from entering the US because of this but yes, they may sue you in the UK courts for this.

May I help further?