12826847

, I lost my licence through ill health last year. I was banned

Customer Question

Hi, I lost my licence through ill health last year. I was banned by DVLA after police contacted them about my health. I recieved a letter from DVLA to say they have banned me until I can prove my health is to DVLA standards to drive. I provided the DVLA with all the relevant information directly from my own GP. My doctor stated there was nothing wrong with my health which would effect my driving. DVLA received this information two weeks after I received the letter banning me. DVLA made so many mistakes with the paper work, continually asking for copies, even my doctor got fed up with sending the duplicated forms. I contacted the DVLA chairman via my local counciller. He said he would investigate the matter. This went on for months. I eventually had my licence back after eight months of having to travel by public transport every day to work seventeen miles away. The trip was two hours long to and from work. Can I claim any sort of compensation for their poor service. Especially when they had all the information from my doctor clearly stating there was nothing wrong with my health within weeks of being banned.
Tony
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo. Can I claim any compensation for the stress of losing my licence unnecessary by DVLA who reacted on a police womans personal point of view.

Tony

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo, I cant send my email address. Its coming up as registered by another member . What happens now.

No. I am sorry but there is no way of sugar coating this.
They received a report. They have to investigate it. Public safety is paramount and so they have to revoke until they are satisfied the report is in error.
The fact of delay at the DVLA is something that can be attributed to them but there are no statutory time periods by which they must act. People have talked of a judicial review considering the delays at the DVLA but nobody has ever done it so there is no law upon the point yet.
A better option might be a complaint against the officer but I would never advise that. They usually justify their actions and also the whole force can take revenge against people who complain. Of course, they shouldn't do that but that is an ideal world.
Sorry but I have to give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bye

No problem.
All the best.