31090051

My son has written a play which is being performed by a small

My son has written a play which is being performed by a small drama company, it has received arts council funding and they are taking the play to Edinburgh this year. I am concerned that the director has claimed copywright of the work. What does this mean and how can he do this if it is my sons original writing?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
The director can only claim copyright if your son has assigned the copyright or granted a licence. If he hasn't then your son owns the copyright in the play and can claim the work as his own.
Ownership of copyright carries with it this right and the right to exploit the work namely to use it, sell it, licence it or assign it on various terms and conditions.
A director has no right to claim copyright in the absence of an agreed contract.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that information. Can I ask does my son need to do anything to claim or register his ownership/copyright of the work and if so how is this done?

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
No there is no register of copyrights. It automatically exists when the work is made.