12826847

After a recent eye test I was referred to my local hospital

Customer Question

After a recent eye test I was referred to my local hospital because of high pressure behind both eyes. I attended and was diagnosed with Glaucoma and prescribed drops to help reduce the pressure. The consultant told me that as a driver I had 2 legal obligations, firstly to notify the DVLA and secondly to undergo a DVLA sight test which the doctor arranged for me. I passed this test and notified the DVLA. Today I received a letter from the DVLA asking me to make an appointment at my local Specsavers for another test as this is the only test that they would recognise. I telephoned the DVLA and was abruptly told I make this appointment or have my license cancelled. Surely this can't be right. I welcome your thoughts, thank you - Alan Thomas
It is I'm afraid.
The issue of your sight has been raised. Public safety is paramount for the DVLA and they have to investigate. The fact that a test has been passed does not mean the DVLA do not have a duty to arrange another to check the state of your eye sight.
If you don't comply they will just revoke your licence on medical grounds I'm afraid.
I'm very sorry but that is your position and I have to give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for this, I can't believe a High Street store like Specsavers carries more clout than a specialist eye hospital - Alan

It doesn't. They are just doing a second test by one of their contractors. It is the same with medical issues. They will always use a designated doctor.