Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I am looking at the possibility that an individual who was

Customer Question

I am looking at the possibility that an individual who was recently dismissed from the company I work for is attempting to blackmail senior management . He has been given a three month pay off, but has said if its increased to 6 months he will not reveal 'business confidentiality ' issues, which he claims he was privy to Surely this is blackmail pure and simple ?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. What is your interest in this other than being an employee of the company? In other words why does this concern you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jenny, I am the head of security for the business

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok understood, has management shared this information with you and what outcome do you seek?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Chief Executive and Financial Director have made me aware of a letter sent to us by the individuals solicitor, which outlines his request for an increased pay off, in order to 'sign a compromise agreement' and get rid of any 'claims'. He was dismissed for incompetency by the way. The CEO has asked me to look at the possibility of getting the police involved to deal with the blackmail aspect, not sure how interested they would be probabaly call it a civil matter but there is certainly enough in the letter to cover the points to prove,

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hi this is not something that would be considered to amount to blackmail in law.
It is very common that such letters are sent, especially if there is a termination of employment which could potentially be deemed to be unfair. I have acted for employees in the past as a solicitor and have sent hundreds of such letters to employers and likewise I have acted for companies who have received them. It is fairly standard. The fact that the solicitor alludes to 'business confidentiality issues' is a bit unusual, without seeing the letter it is difficult to advise if this oversteps the mark or not.
If management do not want to pay the employee off then they have a statutory right to bring a claim in the Employment Tribunals. Many employers are prepared to enter into a Settlement Agreement to avoid the possibility and legal costs of a claim.
If you have any further questions about this please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Please send the letter to the below email address and remember to rate my answer so that I am credited for answering your question.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hi I can see you have rated my answer . Thanks .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, i have sent the letter by email

kind regards

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** a meeting at 9 but will respond asap after that.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
I haven't received the email please can you check the email address and resend it.