Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Good afternoon, I just purchased a car off a dealer but

Customer Question

Good afternoon,
I just purchased a car off a dealer but it was done privately as he owned the car, he had just had it serviced but it only had 2 months left on the MOT so I took it in and it failed, it had suspension issues, I read somewhere that this is illegal to sell a car that was unsafe to drive? I have asked him for a part refund to help pay for what needs to be done to the car which he has declined. Could you please let me know where I may stand on this?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long ago did oiu purchase the vehicle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

0ne week

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok have you paid for the repair now? And have you already approached the dealer about this or are you asking for advice first?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hi please can you stick to THIS thread not the other one.
I thought you said you purchased it from a dealer in your question title?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was a dealer but we did it privately because it was his personal car.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
I would suggest you report this dealer to Trading Standards at your Local Authority immediately as it may be that this is dealer passing a sale off as an individual to avoid the legal requirements for a dealership sale. This is a criminial offence.
As a dealer sale you have rights under the Sale of Goods Act that the car be fit for purpose and of satisfatory quality.
As you are probably aware if it is a private sale then you do not have such rights and you have responsibility to inspect the car prior to purchase.
If you were introduced to the vehicle when you went to the dealershipo I would argue that this is a dealership sale no matter how they try to dress this up and that you have a right to reject the vehicle or to a repair.
If the dealer refuses this I would notify the police as this could be a criminal matter.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.