29905560

Good morning. I work in a school office, full time, all year

Good morning. I work in a school office, full time, all year round. Myself and 4 others have just been told that due to restructuring and we are being made redundant. The alternative posts are 25 hours a week, term time only - a big drop in salary for me. Can I take redundancy payment and except the new job please?
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I started in September 2002. I am 53 years old.
It is not really possible to both take redundancy and to start working in the new job. You either take the new job and continue being employed by the company or you take redundancy and leave. It is possible that you may leave the job and get redundancy and then get re-employed at a later date in the job you were offered as an alternative to redundancy. However this cannot be something which is prearranged. It has to be something which just happens otherwise you may even face issues by HMRC if they suspect that there was no genuine redundancy as such. What you could also do is negotiate with the employer to see if they can offer you a position which is more suitable than what is currently on offer. If you wish to take anything new or existing offered to you then you remain in employment and get no redundancy. If you do not want to take up what is on offer because it insensitive that is when you can ask to be made redundant.
I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your clear advice. Is there anything I should look out for in terms of my employer not being totally fair with me?
Are there any other positions available?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2 25hr a week, 42 weeks a year admin assistants posts.
in a redundancy situation the employer is expected to offer you any suitable alternative employment that exists at the time. So the key is - are there suitable positions available and have these been offered to you. If you know that there are certain posts which are suitable for you but have not been offered as an alternative to redundancy that is when the redundancy process may be unfair
If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you