UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

I am planning to bring my Zimbabwean husband to live with me

I am planning to bring my Zimbabwean husband to live with me in the UK. I dont have the required finances and am hoping to get a family member to be a guarantor. If he comes on a 6 month visa, will he be able to stay with me if I am receiving housing benefit for where i live?  If not, could he stay with friends who own their house while I continue living at home and receiving housing benefit?  Or would I have to cancel the benefit for him to be able to come at all?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can still wait for a while, thanks

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

please continue. I need an answer to this question

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
Will he be applying for a visit visa only?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we're just deciding whether to apply for a visit visa or not. For now i think it will be a family visit visa or a marriage visit visa, or possibly a work visit visa but one of the first two is more likely

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes I agree that the best possibility of him being allowed to enter the UK would be on a family visit visa, this visa would give him the best chance to enter the UK.
In respect of him staying with you, this would only be possible if the council whom you are rending the property from or the landlord give you permission to invite your husband to reside with you at the property for the duration of his visa. This letter would need to be include in any application which is sent.
If you are unable to obtain such a letter, then there is nothing preventing another individual agreeing to provide accommodation for him to remain in the UK for his visa.
If you can obtain either of the above, your husband should not have any issues in respect of adequate accommodation being provided to him in the UK.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for the answer, I'll be able to get that letter from the landlord without any problem, so it won't matter that I am receiving housing benefit?

do you know whether it would be easier to get a marriage visit visa than a family visitor visa?

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
No, provided it does not increase your housing benefit or effect any other benefits you are receiving the application will not be effected.
A marriage visit visa is if you wish to marry in the UK, and as you are already married it would not be the most appropriate visa in your case. I therefore suggest that he applies for a family visitor visa.
I hope this clarifies the matter, if so please provide a rating so I can get credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

one final question, would it make sense to go for the marriage visit visa if we want to also have a ceremony in the UK? We do want to do this and its been suggested to me that that gives a better reason for him to be coming and therefore more likely for the visa to be granted

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes this is possible, provided you explain that although you are married already you wish to register the marriage in the UK, you must also provide evidence of all the arrangements for the marriage as part of the application.
I hope this answers your question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

and do you know whether this visa is any easier to get than a family visit visa?

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Both are the same, it all depends on the purpose of his visit, but I believe a family visit visa would be more suited for your purpose than a marriage visa.
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.