Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My bankruptcy order was discharged on 10/4/15 and I've just

My bankruptcy order was discharged on 10/4/15 and I've just found out that during the order , the Court was erroneously writing to me at an address that I moved from in 2008. This mistake was revealed when last week I received an email from a court official , asking why I had not been responding to letters . The court official has acknowledged that the mistake over the mis-addressed mail was down to to court and not me.
Now that the order has been discharged - am I still duty bound to deal with the enquiries that are being made by the court ?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

May I clarify if the enquiries are being made by the official receiver or the court itself please?
Are the enquiries in relation to your affairs relating to your bankruptcy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry my error - when I stated court - I meant official receiver. The enquiry was apparently raised in May 2014 and sent to my old address. The enquiry related to my bankruptcy.

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
No problem - thank you for the clarification. It is a condition of a bankruptcy order to assist the official receiver with enquiries both during and after discharge. It can be treated as contempt of court to refuse to cooperate even after discharge which can lead ultimately to an order for custody if an individual repeatedly refuses to cooperate so it is not an option to refuse to assist in practice.As above unfortuantely the duty continues even after you have been discharged so the enquiries will need to be responded I regret. Obviously if the receiver has ben writing to the wrong address then there is a valid excuse for not having responded earlier but from what you say the receiver accepts the mistake and does not propose to pursue the failure to respond so this should not be an issue.I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful