tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Locked by Customer ServiceI am next of kin to a sister who I have not

Customer Question

I am next of kin to a sister who I have not seen for years and who has recently been sectioned. I was contacted to agree to her going into hospital which I did but do not wish to be classed next of kin, for personal reasons. How do I release myself from this obligation if I cannot find another person to take on this task?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello, thank you for your question. My name is***** can assist you with this.
The phrase "next of kin" has no legal significance in its own right. It is simply the term used by an individual for a person that would be interested intimately in their affairs upon death or incapacity or some other serious circumstance.
If you do not wish to become engaged in this person's affairs, as per their nomination, then you do not have to be. You do not need to take any steps to achieve that objective, simply decline to assist when and if the time ultimately comes to do that.
Tony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I need to put it in writing?

Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.
No, nothing needs to be in writing. However, from an evidential perspective it can be useful to keep things in writing.
Tony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not need anymore info. Thank you for your help. Will I be charged anymore now? Did you keep my credit card details?