tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

My son's credit card has been used fraudulently. His bank,

My son's credit card has been used fraudulently. His bank, Nationwide, has refunded some part of the fraud but refuse to refund the balance (about £700 ). My question is: how much is it likely to cost to pursue the matter through the courts if necessary ? R Britton
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello, thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this.
If you're asking how much it will cost to claim against the bank, the answer is nothing. You should make a formal complaint in to the bank about its refusal to refund the balance of the fraudulent amount. Once the bank gives you would answer, in relation to the complaint, which it must do within eight weeks of you making the complaint (although it often does so a lot quicker), then a complaint can be made to the financial ombudsman service.
The financial ombudsman service is a completely free service, and will investigate the basis of complaint and direct the bank to take such action, including refunding money is to you as it considers appropriate.
Only if the ombudsman did not accept your complaint would it be necessary to consider court action. If you did go down this route, then it would cost something in the order of £750 plus VAT, if you were to use solicitors to assist you with it. Of course, different solicitors charge differently and you need to get an estimate from a number of firms before proceeding.
I should say, that if you did make a complaint to the ombudsman, and we're unhappy with his answer, then you could still proceed to the court system.
I hope this answers your question. If you require any further clarification, please do let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate the answer for me as highly as possible.
Tony