12826847

My husband is disabled after a stroke and is claiming incapacity

hi my husband is disabled after a stroke and is claiming incapacity benifit and disability allowance, with the new pension changes he would like to take his small pension out as a lump sum to pay off debt and install a new boiler due to ours breaking down, from what i've read his DLA is not mean tested but i'm not sure about his incapacity benifit as we cant afford to looses this as there will be hardly anything left of the lump sum, i work part time and we laim no other benifits., thank you.
kay
Incapacity benefit is not currently means tested.
There have been rumblings of a proposal to do so from the Government but they haven't done it yet.
Incapacity benefit and DLA etc are to pay for the cost of managing the disability so it doesn't matter whether you work or not save for the fact that those in work give rise to the inference that the level of care they need has changed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you we've spent weeks trying to get an answer it will make a lot of difference if we can make some repairs to our home and pay off debt we owe. we can know make the decision to go ahead to cash his small pension in without the worry of loosing his incapacity benifit. thank you kay and martyn

No problem.
I would disclose it to the DWP though in an abundance of caution.