12826847

Can our community watch of self elected individuals put cctv

Can our community watch of self elected individuals put cctv in public areas around our village to film dog walkers. They are look for dog fouling. Is this a breach of human rights or privacy.
Yes, they can I'm afraid and no it isn't.
You don't have a human right to not be filmed. If you did the Government would almost always be acting unlawfully.
Similarly, there is actually no freestanding tort of breach of privacy in the UK. There were attempts to make the human rights act apply which failed fairly spectacularly.
The only challenge may be that if this is in on Council property then they may have an interest in the placing of cameras although they may not act upon it. It would be worth making a report to see if they would investigate it.
Sorry but I have to give you truthful information.