Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My partner and myself have received claims from court today

Customer Question

My partner and myself have received claims from court today which we feel is unjustified and are scared we will have to pay this as we dont know much about law
Expert:  Joshua replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.May I ask are the claims for money or for specific performance (i.e requiring you to do something rather than pay) please?If for money, what is the money being claimed for and how much is being claimed?Could you very briefly set out why you do not think the claim is justified? I don't need much detail at this point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. The claim is for the cost of damage caused to the kitchen, and for the gas, electricity and plumbing

2. Claiming £3,522.00 which includes court costs

3. This was family helping family, no contract no nothing just an offer to help them save money on the fitting of the kitchen.

Expert:  Joshua replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Is the claim against you, your husband or both of you?How much did your husband charge her - I note the cheque was paid to you.Was this for parts or his labour or both?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It looks like one claim, under same claim, but 2 papers issued?

Expert:  Joshua replied 1 year ago.
It would be helpful to see the claim forms if that is possible though it would be best not to post them to this thread as this site is not secure. Would you be happy to transfer to email so you can email me the documents confidentially? This is treated as an additional service by the site for a separate fee but I can specify the minimum fee which is around £3 so it does not add substantively to your costs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I could email them to you later when my partner is home, via his computer, as i am not able to do this by myself and not very good on computers

Expert:  Joshua replied 1 year ago.
That would be fine. I think it would be more helpful for me to respond having actually seen the basis of the claim rather than giving you more generalised information which I think will be less helpful. May I create the additional service proposal so we can exchange email addresses and you can then email me later whenever is convenient with the claim form scans?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thats fine, we have 14days from the date of claim, which is dated 20th April

2015, i do believe we can contest this claim, but to be honest we are not in a financial situation to do so

Expert:  Joshua replied 1 year ago.
The offer should come up on your screen in a few moments. I have specified the minimum fee which should be around £3. After you accept the offer we can exchange emails so you can email me later when convenient. Yes there is no immediate panic re responding. If you wish you can complete the acknowledgement form which will double the time you have to reply to 28 days.
Joshua, Lawyer
Experience: LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Expert:  Joshua replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks. My email should be visible - if not you may have to refresh the page. If you could email me a copy of the claim form(s) you have received at that address when convenient I will reply back to you later or tomororw depending the time at which you have a chance to send them through.I look forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you think extending the date would help

Expert:  Joshua replied 1 year ago.
It may but perhaps we can consider that later when you email me - at this point there is no immediate urgency to do anything as you have only just received.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Seems there is not a lot i can do, until you receive copies of claim. I will email them when my partner is home.

Expert:  Joshua replied 1 year ago.
I look forward to hearing from you a little later and we can go from there.