tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I'm in dispute with my uk employer regarding disclosing the

Customer Question

I'm in dispute with my uk employer regarding disclosing the detail of information gathered via email for purposes of annual review. Despite many emails and two meetings they refuse to disclose the details. Citing the DPA protects the author of the information, they are reserving the right to filter information based on the wishes of the author. I maintain this is not part of the DPA and my right to review the information persists. We are about to reach an impasse. In an attempt to ease the matter I have drawn their attention to 'the 8 core principles' and have asked how these may extend to providing the filtering rights. However, if they maintain form so far, they will refuse to discuss specifics. I am preparing to engage legal assistance in an attempt to realise the seriousness with which I am taking this. My question; is there any point? What possible outcomes are there?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello, thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this.
The data protection act may not apply. Section 35C of the act provides for exemptions where the information, which would normally be covered by data protection, is required to assist individual in understanding the legal rights and/or obligations. You may be able to cite the exemption in this case.
It is always useful to obtain specific legal advice, and it might be that a letter from a lawyer, would assist you in obtaining the information required, thereby demonstrating your seriousness to your employer about exercising your legal rights.
I hope that this answers your question. If you require any further information, or wish to clarify any points of my answer, then please do let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my answer as highly as you can for me please.
Tony
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello, was there anything more you would like me to clarify about your question?

If not, please do remember to rate the answer please.

Tony