75100385

2 years ago I was driving locally and had a slight collision

Customer Question

2 years ago I was driving locally and had a slight collision with another vehicle which cracked my mirror housing and did similar damage to the other (parked) car. It was caused by a car driving at too fast into my path and I swerved to avoid it. I am now getting phone calls trom a company who have discovered my details and presumably wish to sue me for damages. I don't have any insurance that will cover the situation. What is my legal position?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Did you stop after the accident?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes. I stopped and tried to find the owner/driver of the parked car, checked the pub opposite and asked a passer-by. I was about 20minutes at the scene.

Did you report it to the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no. I should have done, but could not see damage to the other car and could not identify the car that had caused me to collide. I took my car to obtain a replacement part for the mirror assembly the following day.

Ok. If you caused the damage then you are liable. But they need to show you hit the car and caused damage. You may need to report this to your insurers who may or may not cover you given the time that has passed if you didn't report it in the first place.
But they need to prove you cause the damage and it was you,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your advice. I shall wait and see if the matter is resolved

Great!

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.

Alex.