Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

First of all, is your service backed by Law Society guarantees?

First of all, is your service backed by Law Society guarantees? I am President of an England-based outdoor bowling club. We have a member, Mrs M, who has been on pre-charge bail for some months. The case involves her grand-daughter, Miss M who is 20 years old, who is also a member of our club. I believe Miss M was legally adopted about 10 years ago by Mrs M, after what she thought was ‘negligence’ by her parents, the mother being Mrs M’s daughter.
Miss M has now lodged a complaint that she was sexually abused by members of her household (pre-adoption) and others, with the knowledge of her grandmother, Mrs M.
One of the conditions of Mrs M’s bail is that she does not make contact with Miss M.
Is there any liability that falls upon the club if they meet, albeit accidentally, on club premises?
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.I am a Solicitor practising in England and Wales and authorised by the Law Society and Solicitors Regulation Authority. However, Just Answer has no association with the Law Society and any infromation I give will be for guidance only. Do you wish to proceed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Bail conditions are imposed on the suspect and apply solely to her. There is no liability on the club even if a breach of bail situation arises on club premises.
So long as the club is not complicit in any criminal activity e.g. Encouraging or assisting a crime, then there will be no comeback on the club. Allowing a person on bail to visiti the premises and go about their day to day business is not criminal activity.