13262538

I actually do not know where to start .. I am a only child

I actually do not know where to start .. I am a only child now 57yrs my father died in 1978 he did not leave a will apparently I was told by his wife who is not my mum. I have lived with angry feelings all my life has his wife left me out of everything once Dad died even his funeral and being only 21yrs at the time I left things alone. Now though I feel after all this time, not knowing if his wife is still alive or living that whats mine should be mine has they both had a house they owned together. Where do I stand do I have to trace his wife, I do know where they lived but am reluctant to go to the house incase she is there or someone else is now there. I really just do not know how to set the ball rolling to claim anything at all
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there Nicola Thank you for getting back to me. Yes I am happy to wait is there anything more I can help you with, has I do realise its a difficult question I have asked. Thank you Jackie

Do you know what assets he had when he died?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare Thank you I was left completely in the dark but my Dad was a accountant and a clever man I am not sure if back then if they had pension`s at the firm he was at. The house I grew up in at Yorkshire was payed off and him and his wife lived there till he died. She stayed in that house but do not know if she remarried or moved or has passed over now, if I write a letter how do I know it will be replied to or someone else opens it if she no longer is there. She had a good job also I think Dad had savings has when he died a few months later she had central heating put in the house, they also enjoyed holidays abroad. I find it hard to accept has his only child he did not leave a will. I was just told that he did not and her and her brother turned against me, I was 6 months pregnant at the time and just could not cope with any more upset. Blessings Jackie

How much was the house worth - and was it jointly owned/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, The house was worth today £175.000 do not know how much it was worth when dad died! I think it was then his because he moved her in when mum left with me to come to Leicester, has mum never received a penny maybe there was still a morgage running sorry that`s all I know.

Thank you Jackie

You need to check with the Probate Registry to see if there was a Will - details here
https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate
You can also check to see who owns the property at the moment using the Land Registry Web site
https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry
If she has sold it - or the property is registered in her sole name then it means that either there was a will OR she was a joint owner of the property at the time your father died and the property passed to her automatically on his death - as did any funds held in joint accounts.
I am afraid that unless you find there was a Will in which you were named then there is no claim that you can now make UNLESS the property is still registered in your father's name.
I am sorry - I know that this is a distressing situation - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.