75100385

I have sold a property with a summerhouse in the garden. The

I have sold a property with a summerhouse in the garden. The summerhouse, included in the sale, is equipped with electrical wiring for sockets and lights but the wiring did not comply with current safety regulations or building regulations. I removed references to a summerhouse with power and light from the particulars for this reason and disconnected the power supply to the summerhouse but the wiring and lighting in the summerhouse was left in place. I did not discuss this with those who purchased the property which included the summerhouse. I let myself ssume they would become responsible for any reconnection and the meeting of current regulations? Am I correct?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Did you make any reference to the fact it did not comply?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No reference was made to the electrics in the summerhouse with the estate agent or purchaser. I said to the estate agent that power and light should not be included in particulars because the power supply was already disconnected.

You will be ok. If you removed any reference and disconnected the supply then clearly it is up to the purchaser to satisfy themselves as to the condition. Further if they are having a survey it would be open to the purchases to include the electrics and this can be picked up. Therefore on this basis you will be ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. There was a homebuyers report following a survey by the buyer's surveyor, I believe the surveyor looked inside the summerhouse but no questions were raised. A certificate of electrical safety was supplied by a qualified electrician for me for the house but the summerhouse was excluded, it did not figure at all.

The supply to the summerhouse was only ever temporary by means of an occasional extension to a plug outside the summerhouse. That also never complied with regulations. That was left in place and could easily be used for reconnection temporary or more permanent. My concern is that the buyers may do this and take on trust that the summerhouse complies. My own view is that I need to clear up this matter with the buyers but when I do should I proceed aware that I may face consequences?

You should put a notice on the electrics saying dangerous do not connect until inspected, or words to that effect.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have left the house and summerhouse and cannot leave the notice. Can I simply let the purchasers know or is that ill-advised as I may face liabilities? If so are there other options? Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have appreciated the service but would appreciate a final response?

Yes let the purchasers know. Sorry I was just on the phone!

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.

Alex.