Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I retired on Friday and fly abroad in two weeks on a one way

Customer Question

I retired on Friday and fly abroad in two weeks on a one way ticket which i booked in February.
Yesterday i received a notification of Jury Service in June. Am i required to return to the Uk to attend? The form does not give any guidance with regard to expats. Many thanks to you
Expert:  Kasare replied 2 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question, I will assist you with this, but I'd be grateful if you could just confirm some further information.
When you move abroad, is this a permanent move? Are you intending on de-registering from the electoral role in UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I plan to keep my home in the UK at the moment as i have just retired i am unsure if the move is permanent until i have been there so my timetable is unknown as of now. I plan to remain on the electoral register for now. Many thanks
Expert:  Kasare replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sandra
Thank you for the information. Whilst you are still registered on the electoral role, you will be considered as "available" for Jury duty.
However, when calling people for Jury duty, there is always more people called than actually needed. I would recommend you complete the form that you received with your summons and seek to be excused from jury duty, rather than a deferral. Advise them that you are going out of the country for an unknown indefinite period following your retirement with a view to possibly moving permanently. I would recommend that you provide them with a copy of your flight booking.
If you defer they can and often do try and call you again within the following 12 months, whereas if you seek to be excused they should not seek to call you within the next 12 months.
However, as I have said, as long as you are on the electoral role you may still be called in the future.
I hope this assists.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many many thanks
Expert:  Kasare replied 2 years ago.
Not a problem and good luck in your retirement and move Sandra! I hope its somewhere nice and relaxing you are going to!
Before you leave, please don't forget to rate my answer (positively is always appreciated!).
Customer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks againCustomeri would use this service again without hesitation, excellent service from you. Sandra
Expert:  Kasare replied 2 years ago.
That is so nice to hear. Thank you Sandra