Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I was on here earlier about my car being stolen. Except

hi - i was on here earlier about my car being stolen. Except the police say i have no proof its been stolen - just that the garage who was selling it for me upped sticks and left over easter weekend - 2 days after they said i'd get the money and I havent been able to contact them since - where do i stand? I can see you have dealt with this garage before ...? Aspen car sales

I thought i was talking to someone about this in a live chat window ?What happened ??

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience. I am very sorry if no one responded to your earlier question. Could you tell me in what way the garage left please? What kind of business was it - a sole trader or limited company?Did they have premises an if so have they vacated those premises? Are there any notices on the premises?Is there any information as to where they ave gone or why they have vacated?Do you have a receipt or acknowledgement for the car?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I originally bought the car from aspen care sales a couple of years ago and they said to bring it back if i ever decided to sell.

I moved overseas in oct last year so asked them to sell it for me. I am still overseas in sydney and its very late now.

My dad went to the garage today and said it was vacant. Nothing left - no cars, nothing. the mot garage behind said they left overnight over easter weekend without a word of notice and they havent heard from them since.

I have been in telephone contact with them since i left the car and they advised they had a buyer and i would be paid on 28th March. That never happened and since then I havent been able to get in touch with them.

They were a family run company - father and son and seemed very pleasant and accommodating - they have fixed my car several times over the course of my history with them when i owned it and they collected it and dropped it off each time so its seems odd for them to do this, but i can see lots of other internet based complaints about them now that I look saying they are fraudsters and they run their books out of the US ?

The address of the premises was:

Aspen Car Sales

• Tel: 01252 845373

The Old Carriage House, London Rd, Hartley Wintney, Hook, Hampshire, RG27 8HR

There is no notice as to where they have gone and the garage behind said that loads of people have been looking for them. Not sure if I have a receipt for the car, my mum was dealing with it in my absence, but I have the original reciept when i bought it and its registered to me and I have correspondence with aspen about.

I have since called hart motor company (located behind aspen car sales who do their mot;s and also did one for mine at the end of march). They say at least 20 other people have been round and the police and trading standards are involved too.

I also spoke to hartley whitney garage and they said they went over night - taking a full car lot of cars with them and noone knows where they went..........so it seems the police must know about it. Does this now qualify as stolen or can they just get away with it and trade under a new name ?

Heres one complaint i found:

DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR ASPEN CAR SALES IN HARTLEY WINTNEY!!

I don't have time to tell the full story here but basically, I bought a car from these lying, cheating conmen and they:

- denied all responsibility when it went wrong
- lied when I asked them if it was HPI clear (it wasnt)
- lied about faults on the car
- told me I would get 12m road tax but then sent a rubber cheque to the DVLA (it bounced), meaning I had to pay for the tax myself after getting a threatening letter from DVLA a few weeks later
- lied that the car had a FSH when it didnt
- lied that I had a warranty with the car - I didnt
- used every excuse in the book to avoid me afterwards; their computers werent working, their phones werent working, their email had gone down, letters kept going missing in the post, their boss was on holiday, he was at a funeral, on and on

DO YOURSELF A HUGE FAVOUR - IF YOU CANT AFFORD TO LOSE YOUR MONEY, DO NOT GO TO ASPEN CAR SALES IN HARTLEY WINTNEY, THEY ARE THIEVES!!!

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. It appears the company may have ceased trading. The business trades as a sole trader. I believe I have located the owner and his home address. I am not able to post his contact details here as it is not a secure site - may I create an additional services offer so I can email you the contact details directly? He has no right to sell the car and it remains your property unless you have agreed that he may sell the car as your agent. It is important to make contact with the sole trader owner as soon as possible i order to recover possession of your car. If he has removed your car (and others) without your permission then this can amount to theft under s1 Theft Act. If they have removed stock belonging to third parties with the intent not to derprive those owners of their cars then this could also amount to a breach of The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 and given the scale it is likely tragind standards may take an interest with a view to prosecuting. You may consider contacting Hampshire Trading Standards on 01962 833620 or *****@******.*** who are likely to be able to assist further and if they are alrady investigating give you the name of the appropriate police liason officer. It is possible for you to apply for a court order for the return of your property though you will need to first verify the individuals home address (as above I can email you contact details I have tracked down for his home address) and attempt to make contact directly. You can apply for a court order using the following form though as above it would be sensible to first make contact with Hampshire Trading Standards to ascertain what action they are taking first:http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n244-eng.pdf I look forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Joshua

Thanks for your email. Yes please can you arrange to send me his details? My phone number is *********** and my email is *****@******.***.

Would you suggest I go round to his address rather than writing to him ?

I logged a complaint on line with trading standards yesterday but thanks for the number i will also call them today.

I guess I will see how i get on with tracking colin down first before taking court action ?

Joss

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Thank very much for your reply. The system removes email contact information for privacy automatically. In order to exchange email contact information IO need to create something called an "additional services offer" for email exchange. This is treated as an additional service by the site but I can specify the minimu fee which is around £3 so it does not add any substantive increase to your costs. wwith your permission, I will create additional services of the now which should appear on your screen a few seconds after which we can exchange email contact information directly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Josskeepatgmail.com

Sure no problem

Joss

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Hopefully you can see the additional services offer to accept on your screen. If you can if you can accept it, I can forward my email contact information to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I can't see it

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
No problem - if there is an option to click a rating for my service to date that should complete the thread and suffice for me to contact you if the additional service is not appearing.