12826847

I'm 70 plus - I forgot to renew my driving license

Hello - I'm 70 plus - I forgot to renew my driving license which expired on the 2nd March '15 and yes, I did receive a reminder before that date. I've now tried to renew on line but am confronted by a notice stating that if you're an oldie and you don't do the renewal that's it - I've lost my right to drive! That sounds quite extraordinary - hope you can spare the time to shed some hopefully reassuring info. Thank you!
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'd like to know how long this (rule or law) has been in place and whether it can be challenged and on what grounds, Thank you

This has been in place for as long as driving licences. If you don't renew or otherwise comply with the DVLA then they revoke your licence. It is not a new thing. It happens for lots of non compliance issues.
There isn't an appeal arising from it There is for revocation on medical grounds but not non compliance.
What you have to do is make an application for return of your licence and pay the appropriate fee.