13262538

Have been trying to get our inheritance money from Chorus Law

Have been trying to get our inheritance money from Chorus Law since March 24th. Keep being told it will be 2 weeks and then another 2 weeks, then they say i need to signe a letter which will be sent in 2 weeks, no letter no inheritance money either
Did they send you a terms of business letter at the start of the process?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They sent me out a pack saying how things would progress, but did not say how long it would all take. it did say the probate would take 9 weeks.

My mum died aug 17th, when i went into barclays to inform them they sent someone from Chorus law on the 28th to talk to me about probate, i didnt think we needed probate as there was a will, but i did, they said they could sort every thing for me, i had to sign over power of attorney to them so they could deal with the probate. My mums house was sold 2 weeks later, but contracts were not signed till 12 March, on the 12th March £116700 went to chorus law, was told the money would be distribute end of March begin of April . end of March i was told 1st they will send a letter for me to sign showing what money was paid out and what came in, once i sign the letter and send it back, they will distribute the funds from my mums estate, still waiting for the letter to arrive, keep being told it will be 2 weeks, then another 2 weeks, still no letter and its the 1st of May

Just to clarify - you are certain that it was Barclays who gave your details to Chorus Law?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes it was Barclays through their bereavement team

Looking at the paperwork do they confirm who they are regulated by?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

don't think they are regulated, they come under a group called simplify

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i can not see a regulater so dont know

In the details of the Complaints process what is the last step?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To write to Chorus law which I have. No reply as yet. Wrote 2 weeks ago

The problem is that despite the name this is not a firm of lawyers and accordingly they do not have to worry about their Practising Certificates and sanctions by the Law Society and the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
This restricts the options available to you.
As a starting point you can threaten to sue them for your money - and at the same time woudl suggest that you make a formal complaint to Barclays about the fact that they sent you to a firm who a
re not regulated at all.
I appreciate that this is not the conclusive answer that I woudl have liked to give you - but the options are limited I am afraid
Please ask if you need further details