13262538

Does England open closed adoption files (sealed records) to

Customer Question

Does England open closed adoption files (sealed records) to an adoptee or do they have to wait till their biological parents have died? It only charged my card by 9pounds, is that correct? I can pay 56pounds!

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Could you please confirm when the adoption took place?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't confirm that, I've found the answer now anyway on an article on the internet from BAAF. It was hard to find! As of the 14th of October 2014 adoptees who's biological parents have died can get their birth information (those that had closed adoption).

The age matters as it effects how they can access the records.
Better details here
http://www.afteradoption.org.uk/are-you-adopted-adult-or-birth-relative/adopted-adults/accessing-your-adoption-records
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is the age 18? Then I presume they could open their children's closed adoption if they have any? Please send me the bill as well. Thank you. Anisha anwar

18 is the age at which people can access their own Adoption Files.
No one other than the adopted person can seek this information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thanks. Please send me the bill.

You have already paid - all you need to do is rate the answer
I hope all goes well
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hiya, I'm not sure if descendants of deceased adoptees can have closed adoption opened now? I can't make sense of it, I think the wordings changed on the baaf article. Can you confirm it? Did you ring baaf? Please reply urgently!

No I am afraid that the only person who can access the files is the adopted person him or herself
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im talking about the new act that's coming into force soon. I don't know when its going to be. Of course it would be the adoptee seeking their own information, but would only be allowed if their biological parents passed away adopted. Its a new children's and families act brought about by baaf, DAP and the conservative and lib dem parties. Can you find out when the new act comes into force. They've nearly done it. The GRO just needed to get the biological name of the person from the adoption agency that's all! Can you find out when the act comes into force?

There is no new law regarding this area of Adoption law
Any adopted child over the age of 18 can access their adoption file and be given the name of their biological parents whether or not they are still alive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What if its closed adoption? Can adoptive parents close the adoption?

All adoption records in the Uk are closed to the public
An "open" adoption denotes an adoption where the child has retained contact with the birth family in any event