12826847

There, I currently do not live in the UK but the police

Customer Question

Hi There, I currently do not live in the UK but the police were looking to speak with me in realtion to some businesses that I ran which were porported to be fraudulent. This was approx 5 years ago and the police did go to a property I was renting and take evidence while I was not in the country. I had heard about this and did not go back. The figures mentioned are approximately £250.000. I maintain the business was not fraudlent howver it could be construed and probably proved otherwise. I have spoken to the police around this time and they have said that there was a Port watch for me to be arrested when I enter the country so that they can question me. Howver they also said that it would be easier iif I came to them by appointment rather than them having to pick me up at the airport. My question is if I travelled to the UK is it likley that I would be picked up at the airport considering 5 years have elapsed and secondly because I dont have a current UK address if I was held would I be bailed or remanded? I have dual UK and Irish citizenship.
There is a risk you could be I'm afraid. There would not have been if you had surrendered but unfortunately you did not and so they have probably issued a warrant for your arrest.
They may not execute that. Airports are surprisingly lax sometimes. However, there is a risk.
You could always try to preempt it by phoning them and agreeing to surrender voluntarily but whether they would agree in the circumstances is another matter.
Sorry but I have to give you truthful information.