29905560

My wife is being threatened by her employer with dismissal

My wife is being threatened by her employer with dismissal for gross misconduct. If this happens she wishes to take the employer to an employment tribunal. Apart from tribunal fees, I understand if she loses that the employer might try to recover her legal costs.
My wife has no assets and about £5000 of debt. Before meeting me she escaped from an abusive relationship, but lost her house and its contents, her car, in fact everything but the clothes she stood up in. She lived in a rented flat for four years before coming to live with me and disposed of its contents when she came to live with me as there was no space for them.
My wife's financial affairs are totally separate from mine. We do not share any bank accounts, my house is solely in my name and all its contents are mine apart from my wife's personal possessions.
So the questions is, could my wife's employer pursue me if they try to recover their legal costs?
Trevor Emmens
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. The employer would not be able to pursue you for any costs related to your wife's liabilities linked to any potential claim in the employment tribunal in relation to her job. This is entirely separate to your affairs and she will bear personal responsibility - that cannot be passed onto anyone else, including you as her husband. Also it is not that often that legal costs are awarded against a claimant - this only really happens if the claimant has behaved unreasonably or pursued a claim which obviously had no reasonable prospects of success and they were warned about that but proceeded anyway. So this is not a given and it is the exception rather than the norm in the employment tribunal. I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you