75100385

My husband owed an outstanding sum of money daughters

Customer Question

My husband owed an outstanding sum of money for my daughters school fees. As at that time we were not married and my daughter is not his, when he put her in the public school the school always billed the fee in my name. After time the fees built up and now he is expected to get a court order. This will mean that I will get a black mark and my savings will be taken. Is there anything I can do to prevent this and can my husband legally take over the court order instead of me?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Who is being invoiced you or your husband?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Me

So your husband isn't paying the bill of which he should be - is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is correct. My husband has always paid the school but he lost his job and the bills mounted-up. The school and him came to some arrangement but he failed to keep up the bills. Last month he promised to pay it off from his pension fund but declined to do so and only paid half. He has now decided to let the matter go to court but the bills are in my name, even though he is responsible for the payments. He said he asked for the names to be amended so that the invoices would be in his name but that he tried to do this but that this was not accepted and he could not do it. If he says that he has always taken and still does take responsibility for the payments, can this matter be resolved without me being involved?

Did you ever sign a contract?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, thinking about it I did sign something with the school because I was mother and Peter and I was not married at the time, so I signed something there, but can't remember what exactly.

`Can you ask for a copy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If my husband is happy to be responsible for the payments and that it was he who let them slip, can he become responsible legally, so that I have nothing to do with it? I will ask my husband for the copy and let you know later, if that's ok?

You are not responsible. But you need to ask for a copy the document you signed. But if he is responsible unless the paper said you were jointly liable then ONLY he is. You can't be liable for a contract you have not signed nor a party to. Any claim against you would fail even if you were the parent.
You can only be liable if you are a party to the contract.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If in the school contract I signed that I was responsible for payments, then it looks like the debts are my responsibility but if my husband is willing to take over that debt, can this be made contractual so it is his debt and not mine. He said he is willing to do this?

Yes you can have this contractual to assign it to him. Then if they take you to Court you can counter sue him for the debt.
Can I clarify anything for you about this ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can the contract not be done before I am taken to court, so it is my husband that goes to court?

Yes but you need to do this asap. Then if proceedings are issued you need to counter sue your husband.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So if we get the contract made up today,

a) where do we send it to be verified, legally binding?

b) will this prevent me having to counter sue my husband?

a) It does not need to be verified, just a contract drawn up indemifiying you against any claims as a result.
b) No
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is it possible for you to give me an example of the wording the contract should have, please,

Sadly I can't do that but you can get wording www.simply-docs.co.uk
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I put:

"I, P.Woolliscroft have always been responsible for the payment to Bricklehurst School, I am, therefor responsible for the said dept"

signed...

Is that enough?

Debt but yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** we not need to send this declaration to anyone?

No.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.