13262538

My daughter aged 30 and her boyfriend have decided to split

My daughter aged 30 and her boyfriend have decided to split up after being together for about 3 years and have an 18 month little girl together. They have very recently, through their local council, which is Newport S Wales,moved into a two bedroom flat to accommodate room for their baby. Previously they were living in a one bedroom flat which they had as joint tenants. For some reason I dont quite understand, when they moved the tenentcy was taken up only under his name. Their relationship, unfortunately has got to a point where my daughter says she cannot continue living with him and she needs to find a new home for herself and the baby. Her ex boyfriend is not doing the honorable thing and putting his baby first but expects her to make herself homeless and tomorrow she will be putting this in progress. We are happy to offer her accommodation but she says that unless she makes herself homeless to the council she will not be allocated anywhere to live without waiting for a very long time for her own place. I just wanted to check with you whether her boyfriend does hold these rights to make her go through, what seems to be a very risky process for an 18 month old baby, and if there is anything else she can do to strengthen her position to keep the roof over her head where she is presently living?
I would be grateful for any ideas you may have.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
In fact your daughter can make use of the law to seek the Transfer of the Tenancy into her sole name - unless her ex has some form of disability that makes this property specifically suitable for him
You can read more here
http://www.eastcambs.gov.uk/sites/default/files/housing/relationship_breakdown_housing_advice_67034.pdf - and possibly on the website of her own Local Authority as well
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details