12826847

I have applied uncontested divorce, and I am expecting

Customer Question

I have applied for an uncontested divorce, and I am expecting my divorce nisi at the end of May and will apply for my Divorce absolute immediately. I am on holiday in California for June, with my partner of 10 years, and would like to make arrangements on line, as we wish to get married there.
Do you for see any obstacles ?
Our concern is if we register for a marriage license in the UK, we have to give 28 days notice at a designated registry office, is this correct in California?
Am I correct in the knowledge that they do not have a waiting period or restriction?
Would our marriage be recognised in the UK?
You do realise that you have to wait six weeks and one day after the Decree Nisi before you can apply for the Decree Absolute?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes Claire, I am aware of the timings, and We know it is tight, but I am trying to find out:

If we have the decree absolute in our possession, when we leave for our holiday in America, can we get married in California .?

In the UK we e would have to wait 28 days to register intent to get married. In California there does not seem to be a waiting time. If I want to get married within 90 days of being divorced I need to produce my divorce papers to prove I am divorced. Is this the case.?

Would the marriage be recognised in the UK.?

This is not a spur of the moment marriage, my partner and I have been together for 10 years and are going to America to visit her sister in California. Ideally She would be our witness.

I hope this information helps you answer my questions. Regards Nigel.

Hi Nigel.
Just to check - what is the date of your Decree Nisi?
How long will you be in California?