12826847

Is there a specified time that traffic lights should remain

Hi, is there a specified time that traffic lights should remain on Amber so as to allow drivers to stop safely before Red appears ? And if so is it speed related ?
I have been caught on a*****traveling at 45 mph and was unable to stop safely before turning to Red and so continued through the junction as a safer option.
Many Thanks
Dean
No.
Drivers are required to stop on amber not on red. The only time that drivers can continue upon amber would be if stopping would cause an accident - such as being heavily tailgated.
Otherwise, amber is the required time to stop rather than red.
Therefore, there are no periods of time for which a set of lights much be amber because motorists should be stopping upon amber rather than waiting for red.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there a guideline that council`s or police should adhere to for the time allowed ?

No.
People are required to stop on amber in all circumstances save for when an accident would be caused by doing so.
Councils probably do have internal policies over the length of time but that would defer between councils and have no relation to the law.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does the camera used at traffic lights have to be calibrated as they do for speed cameras and a log kept ? and if so do I have the right to see it ?

The device that takes the photograph is subject to the same requirements as GATSOs.
however, actually they don't have to be calibrated now to rely on their findings. Generally speaking they are still calibrated but there is caselaw to the effect that they don't have to produce the certificate in court if the Bench find the device otherwise 'reliable'.
The problem with these devices is that they are items of technology like any other and sometimes technology does not work. However, there is a presumption that it does that is only really knocked down if you can cast some doubt over it.