75100385

I rent a house through a letting agency and have been

Customer Question

I rent a house through a letting agency and have been in the property for over 4 years.
Yesterday the letting agency representative entered my home without my knowledge, permission and without any prior notice.
I want to know what if anything I can do about it. It's clearly a wrongful entry. There are no and never have been any disputes between myself and the landlord.
I also want to know how I stand if I change the locks to prevent this happening again. Who if anybody has a legal right to have a key to the property?
Greg Jones
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Yes this is breach of contract unless your contract allows it. You can certainly sue for breach of contract. Ordinarily you would not be able to change the locks without giving the Landlord a key. But in this case if you are 100% sure that they breached their contract (ie this was not an emergency) then you can consider changing the locks,.
No one else apart from you have a legal right to enter the property unless permitted by your contract.