Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I moved into my brand new home June 2012. No covenant stating

I moved into my brand new home June 2012. No covenant stating no caravans etc.
Since then I parked my motor home on my drive.
I have just exchanged my motor home for a caravan.
My next door but one neighbours are getting a brand new caravan next week too.
Their neighbours opposite are in uproar as they do not want to look at it through their dining room window.
there are five homes in our 'development' 3 & 4 bedroom homes. Our access 'driveway' is communal and not adopted by the council- we are currently organising a "Management" to maintain this communal access, including the wooden manual gates to the whole area.
The neighbours that are in uproar about the caravan, are now in communication with solicitors regarding this management.
It is obvious they are going to attempt to prevent any caravans to be parked on our own driveways.
Do they have strong, sound legal grounds to do so?
Is there any current legislation stating that (in our own case) a covenant can be granted inbetween the builder passing the management onto the purchasers?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Just so I am 100% clear, could you please confirm that you would be parking on your own driveway, on land exclusively belonging to you and it would not be on the communal access area owned by all of you?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Al,

Yes - only and exclusively parked on my own drive, (and my neighbours are parking their caravan on their own drive too). Not parked on the communal driveway.

Thanks for your reply and apologies for the delay.

Well, you are only bound by any existing restrictive covenant which was imposed by the Developer, as only the owner of a piece of land can impoe such covenants. Now that you own your property, no third party can restrict what you can and can not do with your own property.

You can all agree concerning matters over the communal area/driveway, but that is as far as it can go.

I hope this assists and puts your mind at rest.

Please let me know if you require any further clarification, but if not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Kind Regards

Al