75100385

I've moved into my rented flat, and we noticed this

I've moved into my rented flat, and we noticed this flat is full of moths and they have started damaging our clothes. I've reported this to the agency a few weeks after I moved in and they are playing dumb.
Now we have some more clothes damaged and I've asked around in the building and there is a moth infestation and I reported this to the agency again and said I want to move out. They are now holding me to the contract and pointing out the break clause of 1 year.
This pest problem has been reported by the concierge prior to me movin in and the agency did not inform us of this.
As you can imagine, I want to move out, nobody wants to pay £1500 a month for a pest infested flat and get their clothes damaged.
What can I do?
Maurice van Tilburg
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Do you know the value of the damage or to put right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex,
Thanks for the quick response, I will break it down for you.
When we moved in we couldn't wash clothes as the washing machine was moulded up, so I went to the laundry, that's about £100 before they came and fixed it.
Then mould in the shower, they came and fixed it 3 weeks later.
Moth issue it's around £600 so far, 2 of my shirts were damaged shortly after I moved in, both from Zadig & Voltaire about £250 each, my girlfriend works there so I buy stuff there to help sales :), I highlighted this with the agency but in good faith I chose not to bill them for it as I want a good relationship with my landlord/ agency (Foxtons). Then my girlfriend notices holes in he new Levi's jeans that's about £100. Victoria Secret pyjamas, don't know how much that cost, but surely around 75-100£.
Our main concern is that we have more expensive clothes here, and by expensive I mean £1200 dresses and custom tailored suits.
I asked some tenants and the concierge if they knew or had the same issues and it seemed a normal thing to them. So I got furious, and contacted the agency, telling them that I want to move out, regardless of what they do to fix the issue in my flat, if the building is infested, a little treatment in my flat is not gonna do much.
They should have never rented this flat in this condition, I put up with the washing machine and mould build up in shower until it was fixed, but I will not put up with destruction of property by pests, when the building managers have been in formed by the concierge and the agency by me.
I have the document that the concierge sent to the building manager and I have pictures of the moths in my flat.
I offered them to give them 2 months to find another person for the flat and I would pay the rent for the remaining period. They flat out refused and told me about the break clause of 1 year.
I feel like these people are abusing and I wish I could leave now, but can't live on the street, so I'm putting up with it till end of June, I will leave regardless. What I want is my deposit back, which is fair.
Sorry went on a rant there
Regards,
Maurice
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.