75100385

Is it illegal/legal to accept payment from a joint tenant to

Is it illegal/legal to accept payment from a joint tenant to terminate my tenancy?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I need an answer ASAP and will give you a further 24 hours.

If you are then unable to provide an answer then I shall expect a full refund.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Is this joint tenant named as Landlord please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. The local authority is the landlord. It is a secure tenancy. Due to a breakdown in our friendship and over crowding a financial agreement has been reached to allow the other to move on. As the financial agreement is in instalments a contract is being drawn up. The tenant paying the lump sum would like the reason for themail funds included in the contract. We need to know based on other advice received if this can legally be inserted into the contact.

So you are saying here is £x to leave early, in short?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Correct. The other tenant feels that because the contract stipulates when he must pay and how much he must pay, then likewise the contract should state what the other has to do, such as, terminate tenancy etc.

No. There is no legal requirement. What you are doing is legal and is a matter of contract between the parties. How and when you do it is a matter of negotiation between the parties to the contract. But it is legal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to clarify.
You're saying that it is perfectly legal to stipulate in the financial contract that the reasons for the funds is to enable the other party to terminate their local authority secured tenancy?
Please note that I requested an "in-depth reply" to my original query. The original question was, "Is it illegal/legal to accept payment from a joint tenant to terminate my tenancy"
Yes I understand the question. There is a breakdown and in effect one party is buying another out of the tenancy. Is this legal - yes it is. There is nothing illegal about one party paying another off. It is simply a matter of contact between the parties as to whatever agreement they come to. So yes you can say in the contract they are paying the other side to terminate their tenancy.
Clearly the party terminating the tenancy will need to have the opportunity to take independent legal advice, but nothing wrong with the deal.
Does that help?
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience