12826847

I failed to report and stop accident and i didnt give

Customer Question

i failed to report and stop for a accident and i didnt give my details to the car owner until a few hours after the accident it was a minor car park reverse accident.the owner informed the police but that was before i gave her my insurance details eg.the accident happened in morning i managed to see and give my insurance details to her in the evening.can i be summonsed for this or even arrested??
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You can be summonsed as you didn't make a report to the police which is what the law requires when there is nobody around to exchange details.
I would be surprised if they bother though. This is a low level damage only collision and you exchanged before the police spoke to you. It isn't really in the public interest.
But in principle you could be summonsed.
It does not carry the power of arrest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but the car owner obtained a crime reference number wont the police come and question me or arrest me because they think that i havent exchanged details with the driver,the driver was not in the car at the time the car was parked but saw me on cctv driving off after getting out my car to look at the damage
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It does not carry the power of arrest.
They may invite you in voluntarily to discuss it but there isn't a power of arrest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you but when you say they may invite me volunatarily to discuss it what does that mean and im worried they can arrest me as im
also on a suspended sentence for harassment but its nearly finished it finishes in 2months and will the police ask the car owner if ive given my insurance details eventually or will they not make enquirys after her initial police report
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
This offence does not carry the power of arrest.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so the most that MAY happen is a summons and is that by post or would the police wish to speak to me at my house before issuing a summons and how much points am i likely to get IF by chance i get prosecuted
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There is a risk that they may want to speak to you.
Failing to stop and report carries 5- 10 points or a ban, up to six months custody and an unlimited fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but in other related answers you said it would not be in the public intrest to prosecute me as i exchanged details with the driver a few hours after the accident.she did report it to the police but surely the police would ask the car owner who reported the incident if i eventually got in contact with her etc
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, as i have said.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do police have warning markers for a persons veichle if it was involved in a minor fail to report accident or is that only for more serious incidents like hit and run
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry?
I'm not sure what you mean?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i mean do police have warning markers on their in car systems on that car if its seen on the road as in a car owner whos recently got in to a car accident and failed to report a accident,do the police log this on their systems incase the driver is seen on the road driving
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, they could but probably they would not.