12826847

Is a private property car park a public place eg.can it be

is a private property car park a public place eg.can it be part of a road traffic act offence and if i gave my insurance details within 24 hours to the car owner after reversing in to her parked car can i not be prosecuted for failing to stop/report a collision or will i have to have gave the details straight away,the person who owns the car was not around when the incident happend and i didnt know where she lived i just bumped in to her by chance a few hours later
A private car park is still a public place save for very limited exceptions.
Yes, you can be prosecuted. You are supposed to stop and exchange and if nobody is around report to a police station as 'soon as reasonably practicably and, in any event, within 24 hours'. That is not a maximum of 24 hours in which to report but a maximum time frame. The duty is to report immediately.
You will find the law here
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170
However, it is not likely for the reasons already explained.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
why is not likely....im confused please clarify for me again
I would be surprised if they bother though. This is a low level damage only collision and you exchanged before the police spoke to you. It isn't really in the public interest.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so theres a chance i still wont be prosecuted because im very scared im going to be summonsed/arrested and lose my licence as im a new driver and cant afford to get 6points or more
Yes, in the circumstances they may well not summons.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is having no car insurance and no licence an arrestable offence
Having no insurance is an arrestable offence but they would not bother usually. It is a relatively recent change to the law.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
whats this recent change?
To allow for arrest for no insurance.