12826847

I did a very silly thing today and now regret it. I'm

Customer Question

Hello I did a very silly thing today and now regret it. I'm so scared I will be found out. I sent an email to over two hundred contacts saying this person had continually made sexual advances towards me trying to enter into a sexual relationship. I didn't say he assaulted me or anything. I used an Internet cafe and setup a gmail account with a randon name from there. But I'm worried as they may get the police involved can the police look at security cameras in the area and charge me with anything. I'm so sick with worry please help. Is this confidential?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Did you name the person?
Are you asking if this an offence?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did name the person. And yes is it an offence. I'm so scared Jo! Would the police get involved in something like this? Could they say I was trying to damage their business? Would they check CCTV around the Internet cafe?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they could.
There are offences that do cover this. It depends exactly what you did say but if you said there were sexual advances then that is an allegations of sexual assault.
They could check the CCTV. I suppose the email cannot be traced back to you but they could check the CCTV. They could trace it back to you if paid otherwise than by cash anyway.
Whether they will or not depends. It is not that arduous to seize CCTV so there is a risk. This is a large number of emails containing a particularly news topical allegation so there is a chance they could do that.
The bigger issue though is that they could sue. This is a defamation. They would need to seek an injunction forcing the owner of the CCTV to hand it over. I don't know whether they will be able to identify you?
You might be lucky. It depends how strongly they feel about this. I find people are increasingly looking for a cause of action against their accusers much more so than previously but they do not all act.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they could identify me. If I go into the Internet cafe every day can they prove anything? They probably will go further as they will see it as an attack on their business. So what can I do? I haven't deleted the email account should I?
I should tell u but is no excuse I had an affair with this person and destroyed my marriage he didn't care. I lost everything and have been suffering from depression.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they could. If they find the CCTV footage and the internet cafe owners can identify you then it could trace back.
There isn't much point in deleting the email account. They can retrieve all of that anyway if you aren't using it then it makes no difference.
There is no way of undoing what you have done. In those circumstances, I would do nothing. It might not come of their attention and if it does they might not decide to take action.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They do know already and have contacted lawyers.
Will gmail have to hand over account details as I did have to put a mobile number in. If I change that now will it make a difference.
Why would the Internet people identify me ? I have been in there before. Sorry I feel desperate.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They won't hand it over without an injunction but they could seek an injunction.
I thought you said they could identify you from the CCTV?
If this is an affair that ended acrimoniously then I suppose they will suspect you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can be identified but can they prove I sent the email as I also worked on other things. I don't understand why the Internet cafe would identify me, do u mean as in I was there?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They will be able to trace where the email came from by IP.
If the CCTV puts you at the location at the time and gmail have to hand over information about the account user then that is probably going to be enough.
Whether they would go that far is another matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jo I don't know what to do. Should I stop going to the Internet cafe? Should I change the account info as I sad I had to put a mobile number in. Would lawyers advise to get an injunction ? Does it take time to get an injunction? Maybe the CCTV won't be saved after a week or so.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Just do nothing. Probably a good idea not to go back to the cafe but there is no point in deleting the account because they can recover if.
A lawyer probably would advise an injunction nit whether they will pay for it is another matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does an injunction take? Is it expensive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning Jo please can we reconnect? Or if another lawyer is available?
Shoud I admit to what I did or
send another email saying it was all a Lie copying all the same contacts?
I have been awake all night I just don't know what to do.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, just do nothing. There is no way of removing what you have done and any other steps now would just make it worse.
Injunctions can be done within a week. It isn't really expensive. Several hundred pounds.