12826847

Can a harassment/blackmail case be reported more than 6

Customer Question

can a blackmail/harassment case be reported more than 6 months later or is 6months the maximum time for someone to report it
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
im asking in general can police charge 6months after a alledged offence or does it have a certain time limit eg.harassment etc
It depends on the nature of the harassment.
If this is S2 harassment then that needs to be before the court within 6 months.
Blackmail or S4 harassment though are either way offences and so do not have a time limit although very old offences would not generally be prosecuted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
does breaking a restraining order on a summary offence carry a maximum of 6months prison sentence ir 5 years.i was convicted of harassment without violence but my restraining order mentioned i could be sentenced for up to 5 years if i break the restraining order....im confused isnt it 6months maximun
Five years